Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What is it called?

Does anyone remember what it's called when you use a lot of one element, put together, to make another? I think it's called ambiguity- but I remember that ambiguity was a lot like something else, and I might be thinking of that something else. For example, the Prius commercials, where the car is driving along scenery that is composed on a million little people? (See left. I think ambiguity is more like the photo to the right.)


Anyway, I LOVE this element.- The one to the left, I mean. I am so intrigued when I see things like that, it's so nerdy, and I can't explain it. Incidentally I got really excited this week when I was a recipient of an email forward that is closely related. The forward contained a parable, which I'll attach to the bottom of this post, but it's the pencil projects that I think are really neat.
The projects themselves are pretty cool- some more abstract than others, but the fact that they are exclusively out of pencils is really creative.














I saw something similar to this a while ago- I can't remember if it was in class or online, but it was a series of projects done for a marketing company, for which the artist took those paint sample strips you can get at Home Depot, and such, and made really interesting designs. (I'll try to find photos of them for another post one day.)

















This is the parable that came with the photos:


A PENCIL MAKER TOLD THE PENCIL 5 IMPORTANT LESSONS JUST BEFORE PUTTING IT IN THE BOX :


1.) EVERYTHING YOU DO WILL ALWAYS LEAVE A MARK.

2.) YOU CAN ALWAYS CORRECT THE MISTAKES YOU MAKE.

3.) WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS WHAT IS INSIDE OF YOU.

4.) IN LIFE, YOU WILL UNDERGO PAINFUL SHARPENINGS, WHICH WILL ONLY MAKE YOU BETTER.

5.) TO BE THE BEST PENCIL, YOU MUST ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE HELD AND GUIDED BY THE HAND THAT HOLDS YOU.

1 comment:

  1. You should check out the site for the Red Bull Art of Can exhibition in Texas. It's all about creating art inspired by or out of Red Bull cans. I didn't get a chance to see the exhibit when I was in Dallas over the summer, but I definitely checked it out online when I got home because there were promotions for it all over TX, and of course I was intrigued.

    http://www.redbullartofcan.com/

    ReplyDelete