Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Marie Claire Hoopla

I work from home so The View is my guilty pleasure. Today, they were talking about a freelance writer for Marie Claire who apparently ripped into the new show Mike & Molly, and said she was disgusted that two "morbidly obese" people were given the starring roles on a show, and furthermore, how it disgusts her to watch "people with rolls and rolls of fat kiss." In fact, she says, she finds it "aesthetically displeasing" just to see fat people walk across the room.

Anyway, I had to look into it... apparently since the article was posted (it's on the MC website), the company has fielded something like 30,000 angry emails -- that number obviously growing. The comments and news reports are everywhere -- and from both sides: that of the angry reader and those upset that she is being attacked for voicing her opinion. (More so angry readers, though.)

Anyway, this is the article (with an apology note attached, and about 500 pages of comments).

Also, this is just one of the many articles written about it. (If you want to see what the papers are saying...)

2 comments:

  1. I read about this and thought it was insane. Does anyone remember the wildly successful show Roseanne? People, real people, are overweight and are entitled to the same sitcom stardom as skinny actors and actresses.

    I honestly have never watched the show and probably never will but to all you overweight sitcoms out there: Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen the show either, but this is crazy, and I second what Sara has to say.

    P.S. I love the use of "hoopla" in your posts title ... it's one of my fav words :)

    ReplyDelete