Friday, October 29, 2010

Sex Degrees of Separation

Remember this little nugget of fear-instilling wisdom?

When I think of an infographic, the first thing that comes to mind is this creepy chart that used to hang in our health classes, and on the back of the door of the nurses office in high school. I'm not even sure that it's an infographic exactly, but it's a visual representation of health information, so I assume it fits the bill. Basically it is supposed to show you how when you have sex with one person, you are having sex with everyone they've had sex with. Think they've only had a few partners? Don't let your fear and investigation stop there. You've not only had sex with them and everyone they've had sex with, but also with everyone that their former partners have had sex with, and so on. I can't speak for everyone, but I thought it was pretty effective in high school, though it almost crosses that line of being so creepy that you don't want to look at it, or you do, and think "that's ridiculous" and ignore it. Eight years later it still makes me wrinkle my eye brows, that's for sure.

Apparently this little gem is huge in the UK, and a pharmacists there has even gone as far as to create a calculating device. Factoid: The article says that the average Brit has slept with 2.8 million people, indirectly. Didn't think I'd leave you wondering, did you? Just FYI: the article, links to the calculator.

No comments:

Post a Comment