Friday, December 3, 2010

My First Holiday Card

So I sent out my first Christmas cards last year in what I thought was a very 'grown up' move, and this year, I decided to do the same, but make my own. A few weeks ago my boyfriend and my parents and I went on this bike/train ride thing- you ride an old train up to Frostburg and then bike back. Very scenic. Along the way, we passed this really cute farm with a big red barn. It was so cute I decided to test my photoshop skills and try to put it in a winter scene for my holiday card. I added a wreath to the barn and followed online directions (about a million different times to get it right) to add a snow scene. I experimented with snow on the roof, and snow on the ground, but in the end this is what I went with.
To finish it, I tried to upload it to one of those "use your photo on these holiday card template" sites, but I couldn't find a template that worked. I found one with text similar to this, but it was in a funky color, took up too much of the photo, etc. So, I decided to take that inspiration to finish the job in Indesign myself and have them printed like 5 by 7 flat photos.

I'm pretty excited about the way it turned out! Luckily though, I don't have any designers in my address book :)

3 comments:

  1. If I had done that, I would probably be bragging to everyone that I sent it to that I made it myself. The initial photo by itself doesn't bring Christmas to mind for me, but your design changes it completely. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that's such a cute idea! This year's going to be my first official Christmas card-sending year however I still have all the cards I didn't send last year to use up, so I won't be designing mine quite yet. I love what you did though-it looks so classic! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I had no idea making snow would be so dang hard, but I'm pretty excited about the way it turned out. Hopefully by this weekend I'll they'll have arrived!

    ReplyDelete