Tuesday, December 14, 2010

What font should I use?

How many times have you asked yourself that, this semester?
Having never taken a typography class, I wrestle with how to tell a good font from a bad one on a daily basis in the class. I would love a list of everyday use, easy-to-read, for-print fonts, and a list of 'no-no' fonts, as there seems to be some common understanding of both in the design world-and it's an understanding of which I'm not yet in tune.

So I've been Googleing this like "good fonts vs. bad fonts." The hardest part is trying to find blogs and articles from credible sources. But, after a lot of skimming and filtering, I've come up with a few links that I think might be helpful for everyone.

The first is from Smashing Magazine which I think is a good source (correct me if I'm wrong) for design topics. This is their list of 40+ free fonts that they thought were 'excellent for professional designs' in 2008. I plan to download all of them.

This is a list of 30 'free but professional' fonts from SloDive-- a blog site that claims to be for "design and resources." Although the overwhelming and busy look of their website concerns me, I'm confident that you can find some gems there.

No comments:

Post a Comment